The tan brick building at 1020 W. Riverside in Spokane has certainly had quite the history. Operating has the home to the Spokane Chamber of Commerce for many years ( before it became part of Greater Spokane Incorporated ) and even The Inlander more recently. But after sitting vacant for a little while, 1020 W. Riverside is starting a new chapter of it's life.
The structure has now been renamed to The Philanthropy Center with a large sign secured to building declaring it so. The building, which is on the Bloomsday route just west of Downtown Spokane is a true landmark in the neighborhood that was recently dubbed, Old Town Spokane.
The Philanthropy Center will be a hub of activity for local non profits with a high profile organization already taking up some space at the center. Empire Health Foundation has relocated all of their operations to the building including all of their 35 employees.
In addition to Empire Health Foundation, a few other non profit tenants take up the 25,000 + square feet of space in the center. Among those are...
Better Health Together
Spokane Tribal Network
The building has undergone remodeling since Empire Health Foundation ( the building owner ) purchased it back in the Summer of 2013. Even though the remodeling did add to the buildings $775,000 sale price the foundation's grant work will not be affected by this project.