Have an interest in what's new in Spokane's University District? Then you might want to stop by the district's open house this afternoon at Gonzaga's Hemmingson Center ( 702 E. DeSmet ). The open house will take place Oct. 21st from 3 - 6 pm and will allow the public a chance to get information and meet the district's new director Mark Robert Mansfield PhD.
While several private sector developments are also happening now in the University District ( 940 N. Ruby , Matilda Building, etc... ) this open house will put a spotlight on the public sector and university projects, including-
- The Gateway Bridge ( a pedestrian bridge between the Riverpoint Campus and the E. Sprague area, over top of a railroad area that hinders movement by the public )
- South Bridge Landing ( a plan to renew, build new buildings, create new business around where the new Gateway Bridge will connect into the Sprague area )
- WSU Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine ( Spokane's new med school ! )
- Spokane Teaching Health Clinic ( in the Riverpoint Campus area, to be large medical facility also providing training to students. Already under construction )
- Gonzaga University's new Hemmingson Center ( Now open and a large new university center for Gonzaga. The center houses many offices, meeting spaces, presentation areas and a verity of restaurants )
- Jensen Byrd Building ( now owned by Washington State University the large historic former Jensen Byrd Warehouse building may see redevelopment soon. The university is exploring options to make it a centerpiece of the district and compatible with the surrounding neighborhoods.